Nowadays, online education is becoming increasingly more popular in the field of healthcare. Before deciding on whether or not to pursue it, students should evaluate the pros and cons to make a decision that is right for them.
Pros of online education:
- Provides more time and place flexibility which can help students who have jobs or internships and family responsibilities
- Has more course variation for self-pacing options
- Is typically more affordable
Cons of online education:
- Does not provide sufficient hands-on learning (which is crucial for certain healthcare fields)
- Requires great self-discipline and time management from the student
- Does not provide in-person interactions with professors and peers
If you are interested in online education, you can check out short certification programs. Programs such as eCornell (https://online.cornell.edu/certificates/healthcare/) provide a large variety of courses with certificates. The certificate programs are personally developed by Cornell faculty with expertise in a wide range of topics, including leadership and management, marketing and technology, human resources, healthcare, hospitality and more. Students learn in an interactive, small cohort format to gain skills they can immediately apply in their organizations and earn an Executive Certificate from Cornell University
Here are some Healthcare certificates:
- Healthcare Management: This certificate program is aimed at giving doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals the basic knowledge and skills needed to manage people and programs efficiently, within the bounds of government regulations.
- Healthcare Operations Management: This certificate program provides you with the tools to analyze and identify strategies to improve the operational performance of healthcare organizations. Courses focus on key concepts in four essential areas of operations management: process analysis, service operations, quality management, and inventory management. You will begin by implementing process analysis tools to create a flow diagram and explore performance measures that can be used to measure the effectiveness of current processes within an organization. Finally, you will look at different methods for tracking inventory and implementing strategies to improve business performance. Upon completing this program, you will possess the tools and skills to successfully manage operations in the healthcare industry.
- Healthcare Facilities, Planning, and Design: This six-course certificate program provides you with in-depth instruction in effectively using evidence-based research to improve a healthcare environment. Core courses cover the critical components of healthcare facilities design planning. Learn excellence in change leadership, stakeholder management, and strategic alignment with organizational goals. Create your strategic plan and execute and assess it by using data to gauge impact. Learn some of the critical skills you need to lead your project to success or dive deeper to interpret technical facility design plans.
- Strategic Healthcare Leadership: The Strategic Healthcare Leadership Certificate provides you with the critical skills you need to lead strategic initiatives in your organization to success through a series of six courses. Ultimately, leaders will increase their effectiveness in leading healthcare organizations through improved knowledge, skills, and practice implementing strategic plans.
- Executive Healthcare Leadership: The Executive Healthcare Leadership Certificate provides you with critical skills to lead your organization to success through a series of six core courses and two electives that give you the flexibility to customize the program to your goals. As a result of completing this certificate, you'll have practiced concrete strategies to increase your effectiveness in leading your organization.
- Public Health Essentials: This certificate program is designed for people who work - or want to work - to improve the health and well-being of communities. You will study fundamental public health principles and practices to enable you to be part of a push for health equity for all. You will examine how to review and interpret data so you can focus your efforts, and you will practice critical communication skills so you can support your community in making choices that prevent infection and illness.While you may initially use what you learn in this certificate to help play a role in reducing the effects of COVID-19, you will also be positioned to use the knowledge and skills you gain to support the long-term goal of maximizing good health for all.
- Senior Living Management: In this certificate program, you'll explore best practices for service excellence at senior living facilities. Through examination of case studies and industry regulations, you will gain an in-depth understanding of the current senior living landscape. Throughout the courses, you'll explore how process thinking can improve your senior living facility by creating a process flow document and formalizing an action plan for decision-making. Finally, you will practice assessing the quality of a senior living organization, identifying areas for improvement through research and applying quality management approaches.
- Wellness Counseling: Whether you're an educator, coach, or wellness professional, this certificate program provides proven counseling techniques to blend within your chosen helping profession. You can significantly enhance your effectiveness, along with the success of the groups you serve, by using specific communication tactics that encourage open and productive partnerships. Additionally, in this program, you will also develop actionable steps to elicit behavior change from your clients and create a culture of wellness within your organization.
Discussion question: As a healthcare student, how do you feel about online education? Would you pursue your degree online? Feel free to share any stories, questions, or concerns.